Sunday 9 February 2014

The Abuse? Is It Needed?

Don't get me wrong, yesterday was embarrassing. 

It was nearly as embarrassing as the time I saw Kelly Brook in Bluewater Shopping Centre. I shouted Kelly and then, as she looked round, I hid behind some cookie stall.

I've had people ask me how I was so calm in defeat, especially in the manner we lost, but I think it was easier to take because it was all over within 20 minutes if that makes sense?

Had we lost to a last minute goal after playing well, and competing for 90 minutes, then I believe I'd have been in bits.

That said it was embarrassing. And I don't want to see anything like it again for at least 100 years. 

Now I know people deal with things in different ways. Going on Twitter after a game like that is like a minefield.

I can read one tweet, it appears perfectly reasonable, and I find myself nodding away like that Bulldog from the Churchill insurance adverts. 

Then, I can read another tweet, and I feel like drinking ten pints of Stella Artois and going on a rampage somewhere. Somewhere like Stoke, and destroying all them inbreds with a toilet brush. 

I understand people get frustrated, I was frustrated, but sometimes people can go over the top with their reactions. 

Constructive criticism is always welcome in my eyes. If someone has a valid point about something I will respect it, even if I don't agree with it.

Criticism is good, when it is warranted, and I reckon that the performance by Arsenal yesterday deserved plenty of it.

What I don't agree with though, and it makes my blood boil hotter than the sight of Shakira doing one of them bum wiggles, is when people, especially Gooners, feel the need to call Wenger, or any Arsenal player, names.

The amount of times I've seen Wenger or Giroud is a c*nt, or any other player, recently astounds me.  

Is there a need for it? I understand people can get angry. When I get angry I too can have the mouth of a sailor,  I hold my hands up, but is there genuine need to be abusive?

Arsene Wenger is not above criticism. I love the man to death. But I know he has faults. I know he does things wrong and at times he can drive me insane in the membrane.

Yesterday I felt he did things wrong, I felt the players did more wrong, but some of the venom I've seen spat his way is more deadly than a King Cobras.

Why? Is there honestly a need to drop 'C' bombs on him? Is there a need to call Giroud a 'useless French c*nt' just because he miscontrolled a pass? 

I've done it in the past I'm sure, so I'm not painting myself as whiter than white but it makes me cringe. 

Some people need to show a little more respect. I don't drop abusive swear bombs on my dad if he burns my Yorkshire puddings on my Sunday roast. I just knock him out. Seriously though is there a need for it?

As I've said, I understand why people were pissed about yesterday. It was a bad day and I know people need to vent their fury, but have a little more respect because you wouldn't like to be called a c*nt would you?

Follow me on Twitter @_Wrighty7

Keep It Goonerish

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Go tell Wenger to play a different tactic against big teams.He should GROW up.It is time he start playing Verminator the captain as DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.Same way Mourinho is using Davis Liuz at Chelsea.Arsenal MUST BEAT UNITED for pride sake and to restore their place as title contender.

Anonymous said...

dont shy carru on

RK said...

I miss reading your blogs.. Hope you will be back with a bang this season.

Ram

Anonymous said...

why would a club look to invest in a center forward who is in the decline phase of his career? The most affairs. In the long run, we are all dead.”

When looking at Manchester United, they are desperate to get back into the Champions League for 2015-16. Whether it is due to clauses in commercial deals that effectively penalize them for not being the in the Champions League or the realization that the allure of Manchester United is not as powerful of a recruiting tool as they thought, especially when it comes to players outside of the British Isles, United seem willing to ignore the future costs of their accumulate-points-now strategy. With Robin Van Persie’s health always a concern and Wayne Rooney making Alex Rodriguez’s contract look good, United decided to pay a loan fee of 6M pounds, according to the BBC, and rather high wages.³ Essentially, United have decided to gamble on the idea that three supposedly world class strikers can make up for extreme deficiencies at the back, especially if they play a back three, at fullback/wingback, and in holding midfield.

One might say that this gamble is worth it. Falcao is an elite goalscorer who can help Manchester United score their way to a Top 4 place. That may be a fine argument if Falcao was an elite goalscorer. However, a deeper dig into the numbers by some in the analytics community has shown that Falcao’s production is not particularly special. Before the Summer of 2013, Benjamin Pugsley wrote a three piece breakdown of Falcao (Part 1 Part 2 Part 3) that gives you the feeling that Falcao is a very good player, who stats are inflated by a large number of penalties, but at the wrong point in his age curve to make a significant investment desirable.

Michael Caley confirms this suspicion in these two figures, showing that Falcao has produce good, but not elite goalscoring numbers.4

and…

It is eck will finally get the opportunity to play up top and gain that confidence. He is already a very good football player. He just needs to add goal-scoring to his game to become a very good center forward, one that I would start ahead of Olivier Giroud. In this way there is some Aaron Ramsey to him where one looks at him and thinks, “If he ever gained confidence with his finishing and delivery of the final pass he could become a very good player.” If this development occurs, Arsenal will have their own version of Robert Lewandowski (although Welbeck probably will not be of that overall quality, but will play at a faster tempo than the Pole). Given the future market of center forwards, it may prove an immensely wise investment to buy a center forward who is more a footballer than a goal-scorer, and rely on goals from other positions.7



Conclusion



Arsenal did not make the investment in current period point-accumulation, in a forlorn attempt to win the title. They made the right investment for the club. They have acquired an asset with limited downside, and significant upside, especially when one considers the future of the center forward market. They bought a player who improves their team and fits with the direction in which the club appears to be going. Finally, they bought a player who is young enough to grow with the rest of the core at Arsenal. For a club who style requires continuity and cohesion, this may be the most underrated aspect of the signing. So while many fans may have desired the short-termism that Manchester United have displayed this window, in an effort to improve the center forward position, I believe that this long-term approach will allow Arsenal to do more with the limited resources they have, allowing them to better compete with their richer competition.

Anonymous said...

Uniqwebtech provides digital marketing and web development services for more than ten years. Uniqwebtech helps you grow your business by reaching targeted customers through SEO, SMO, SMM, SEM, email marketing, content marketing, etc. Uniqwebtech provides one of the best digital marketing services in Chennai.
Digital marketing services in Chennai